Tuesday 10 February 2015

Day 14 - Lopes Mendes beach

As the weather was fine yesterday when we woke up, we had our complimentary breakfast (cake on the buffet is always a winner!) then headed to take the trek to Lopes Mendes, a beach on the other side of the island. Whilst it is possible to get a ferry to take you there, we decided to make the three hour walk through dense jungle instead. Call it money-saving, call it madness, call it what you will. In reality it was a sweaty, hardcore trek up gruelling climbs and down knee-juddering descents in 85% humidity at temperatures nudging 32 degrees. Thankfully I had my walking boots on to save my ankles on the various times I slipped on the rocks and vines protruding from the floor - turns out dad is always right, big shout out to him for taking me boot shopping! After an hour and a half of really hard walking we arrived at a beach which I foolishly thought was our destination. After rolling my towel out, a solemn shake of the head from Max told me otherwise. Turns out this was just a beach on the way!! So I begrudgingly packed up and we started back on the trail. Just before midday and after almost three hours after we first left the hostel, we finally made it to Lopes Mendes. Our efforts were rewarded with the beautiful scenes which we were welcomed with. Drinking in views of the purest white sand stretched as far as the eye could see, lined with crashing turquoise blue waves, we both felt a huge sense of accomplishment. The sand here actually makes a squeaking noise when you walk over it, apparently due to its colour (and inevitably the way it's formed) but the locals assure us that all paradisal beaches are the same!I know I have previously mentioned beautiful beaches but this tops them all; an really outstanding area of beauty! This time I finally was able to de-robe and have a well deserved sunbathe in the radiating heat and I might have even snuck in an afternoon snooze...! Thankfully we caught the water taxi home and needless to say, we fell to sleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment